Sunday, October 22, 2006

Daniel Radcliffe's New Interview

NewsWeek recently sat down with Dan(Harry Potter). Dan mentions filming and about fame.

You’ve been playing Harry for six years now. Are you still enjoying it?

This film has been the most fun I’ve had, definitely, partly because of Imelda Staunton [who plays Harry’s nemesis, Professor Dolores Umbridge], and partly because of David Yates, our wonderful director, who I have had absolutely the time of my life working with. He pushes me farther and more often than I ever have been before. This is not being detrimental to any of the previous directors because I wouldn’t have been able to do this before, but David has caught me at just the right moment.

Harry’s much angrier in this book. And more bitter.

I think he has what a lot of people after the Holocaust had, which is survivor’s guilt. I think he thinks he should have died rather than Cedric [Diggory, who was killed by Voldemort in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.”] Cedric was nothing to Voldemort, and so Harry feels, “I’m the one who should have been taken.”

I know some fans didn’t like this book because they were bothered by Harry’s anger.

They thought it was out of character.
I was fortunate enough to get to spend about an hour with [Potter author] JK Rowling on this film, and she said, “If people say, ‘I don’t like how angry Harry is in this book,’ then they haven’t been reading close enough.” If you look at what Harry’s been through, most people would be far more angry than Harry is, and far more outraged at the state of the world. Harry’s actually fairly well balanced, for everything that’s happened to him. It’s not petulance.

Will you make the last two films?

If the script does justice to the book, it would be foolish not to do the sixth, because I think the book is so incredible and the part is so brilliant. [The seventh book has not been published yet].

No comments: