Thursday, March 27, 2008

Another New Interview with JKR
One Adeel Amini was lucky enough to catch up with Mrs. Rowling, and have a few questions answered. You can catch the full interview HERE. Below are some excerpts.

At this stage in her life, then, almost a year on from the publication of the final book, what does she miss more – Harry Potter or her anonymity? There is a long pause before she answers. “That’s a very excellent question. No one’s ever asked me that.” She pauses to think once more while I revel in the briefest moment of self-satisfaction.
At the risk of sounding pushy and insensitive, I insist on an answer for my earlier question. “Right now I miss Harry more,” she declares. “I do. I miss him as a character, but the interesting thing is he was never the most popular character in the books. In fact there was a poll a while ago and something like 2% of readers said that Harry was their favourite character. There are much more obvious characters to love: Hagrid, Ron, everyone loves Ron. I mean, who doesn’t like Ron…
Is Harry her favourite? “Um, he’s up there, because he’s my hero so clearly I would. But he’s not always likeable but I think that’s right. He’s an angry person – but he would be!
It would be nonsensical to think that this poor 15 year-old boy who’s repeatedly saving the world, with no gratitude whatsoever,” - the laugher turns more raucous at this point - “wouldn’t at some point think, ‘Why do I have to do this? Why does it have to be me?’ So yeah, he does have a lot of angst and he certainly does take it out on his friends but something about Harry is that he has no one else to take it out on.

Rowling has stated many times that she hasn’t always been happy with her work, a natural thought no doubt for any creative personality. Is there anything that she would go back and change?There are two books I would go back and do a good Director’s Cut on: Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Order of the Phoenix is definitely overlong but, like Chamber of Secrets, they’re both transitional chapters in the overall story, so information has to be given in both of them, and Harry has to visit places in both of them. Now that seven’s out you can see that he had to have gone to the Ministry of Magic, he had to know that there was a Basilisk under the school, there were certain things he had to know and information he had to get and so in a series like that you do end up with transitional chapters. Phoenix should have been tightened up. I was in a state of advanced exhaustion when I was writing that, I was very heavily pregnant as I came to the end of it and I just ran out of energy. It definitely needs a clean-up job.

Has she read any of the books again?The only one I’ve gone back and re-read since publication is the seventh book, which is my favourite.” Rowling had apparently planned the ending very early on, shortly after the genesis of the entire series. “Yes, that’s the point to which I was working for 17 years so of course it was going to be a big cathartic experience and I’d given a lot of thought to it. But also it was immensely liberating not to be writing a school story any more, just to get them out of Hogwarts, even though I love Hogwarts. You probably good squeeze a good few more stories out of Hogwarts, there’s so much there but the constraints that a school timetable places upon your characters are huge. And never having to write another Quidditch match,” she laughs. “The thing that will keep me away from Hogwarts for the next generation is having to do blummin’ Quidditch again unless I decide my hero this time can’t play Quidditch. Then he can go have adventures while someone else is playing Quidditch!

No comments: