Sunday, May 06, 2007

New Article on OOTP in the LA Times

There is a very interesting new article on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix over at Latimes.com. In it, Emma Watson compares OOTP director David Yates with GOF director Mike Newell:

"He (David Yates, director of Order of the Phoenix) was perfect for this. I don't know if he could have directed any of the other ones. This was his story to tell. He's quiet, thoughtful, sensitive. Mike (Newell, director of Goblet of Fire) would sit in his chair and yell at us, or stand up and just be very loud and British. Whereas David will think for a bit, he'll come over, speak a few words, keep it to a minimum. The thing that always comes up with David is finding truth in the characters, truth in the performance, make it real."

As for Yates, he had this to say about his experience directing a Potter movie:

"I know Alfonso and Mike, when they came out, they were kind of shredded, but I've come out feeling invigorated. And I don't think I'm quite done with this world yet. These can be great films about childhood. The next one's full of sexual politics, and the kids are getting better as actors, and I want to push them even more. This one's quite lyrical and intense. The next one is more fun. I've had more fun in the last two years than I've had making anything. The whole thing's slightly addictive. It's difficult to let go."


Click on the above link to read the entire article. Enjoy!

No comments: