Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Harry Potter Artist Takes On The State Fair
From the hallowed halls of Hogwarts to wild rides on high-flying hippogriffs, Mary Grand Pre has helped create a world of whimsy for kids of all ages.The illustrator is probably best known for creating the artwork on book covers for the Harry Potter franchise. Now she's taken on one of the most beloved franchises in the state with her illustration for this year's Minnesota State Fair poster.
"The Harry Potter books have been a really interesting part of my career," Grand Pre said.Now she's bringing her talents back home to Minnesota, where she grew up.
"Last year, we started using a Minnesota artist and having them create their interpretation of what the Great Minnesota Get-Together is," said Danyl Zamber of the Minnesota State Fair Foundation. "This year's poster is very whimsical, and I hope very well received by people."
"When I first got the project, I decided I'd research the fair a little bit, but really all I had to do was kind of think about what my experiences were about the fair and what I liked the most," Grand Pre said.
"It's based on a landscape ... kind of a surreal landscape of things that could happen at the fair in a dream," Grand Pre said.
"Goats are my favorite part of the fair," Grand Pre said.
The poster is already causing a stir. Fair organizers expect the limited number of signed prints to sell out quickly before the event even starts.
The posters themselves are also limited to a run of 5,000 selling $10 a piece. Proceeds go to the Minnesota State Fair Foundation.
The posters and signed prints go on sale Tuesday. Interested parties can contact the State Fair Foundation at 651-632-2620 to buy one.

**Article at WCCO.

No comments: